Before I dive into this week’s recipe, I have some exciting news! My print cookbook, The Whole Coconut is now available for pre-order on Amazon! I am so thrilled with the way it turned out. I love the layout, the flow of it all, and Erin Scott’s photos are incredible. I also (humbly) think that the recipes are amazing and I hope you will really enjoy them. Over 60 gluten-free, dairy-free recipes featuring the incredibly nutritious coconut in all its glorious forms: coconut oil, milk, water, flour, meat, sugar, cream, butter, and aminos. I can’t wait to hold a paper copy in my hands and be able to share it with you in a couple of months! It comes out at the end of January 2016. Check it out by clicking here.
Ok, on to today’s recipe.
You know those days when you are simply Too Tired To Cook, but still want healthy, super quick meals (less than 30 minutes!) that are not pasta and would make the whole family happy? This meal is it – Chicken Quinoa Fried “Rice” – this is the dish that I whip up when people are hungry and they want to eat now. Or when I’m tired of cooking and want to get dinner over with, quick.
It’s really very simple. You cook the quinoa (rice, millet, or cauliflower “rice” would work well, too), and while that is happening, you prepare the other ingredients. Shortly after the quinoa is cooked, the rest will also be ready, and you will just combine it all and serve. Voilà. In less time than it takes to order pizza delivery, you will have a simple meal on the table that everyone will eat and will be a heck of a lot healthier than take-out!
I hope you will love it. If you make it, let me know in the comments!
Love and health!
- 1 cup quinoa, soaked overnight
- 1-inch piece of kombu (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or ghee, or lard)
- 1 lb ground chicken (or finely chopped tempeh for a vegan version)
- 3 large carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2” piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 large green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3/4 cup parsley or cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Rinse and drain the quinoa. Bring 3/4 cup water, the kombu and a couple pinches of sea salt to a boil. Add the quinoa, stir a couple of times, cover, reduce the heat and cook about 15 minutes. Take off the heat, fluff with a fork, remove the kombu, and set aside.
- Preheat a large sauté pan or wok on medium heat. Melt the coconut oil and add the chicken, carrots, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until the chicken is almost cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Add the eggs and mix in to cook.
- Mix in the peas, sesame oil, tamari, lime juice and green onions.
- Mix in the quinoa. Taste and adjust seasonings if need be.
- Right before serving, top with the parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- If you haven't soaked the quinoa, rinse well and use a little more water, about 1 cup instead of 3/4 cup.