Looking for a crazy simple, yet very festive-looking summer dessert? Look no more! Taking full advantage of the strawberry and peach season, this dessert looks stunning on the plate, and couldn’t be easier to make. Just chop up some strawberries (that’s what “concassé” means – it’s French for “something chopped up”, usually vegetables, but allow me the creative license here), mix them with a little freshly squeezed orange juice and chopped mint and set aside. Then make the coulis: add the peaches to the blender with lemon juice and water, and blend until smooth. Pour a little coulis on each plate, top with strawberries in the center, and voilà, a beautifully simple, delicious, and healthy dessert created in a very short amount of time.
– please, please, PLEASE always buy organic strawberries and peaches from a farmer that you trust, as they are some of the most pesticide-contaminated crops.
– this recipe calls for peeled peaches, as keeping the skin on the fruit will yield an unpleasantly brown-colored coulis. If color does not matter to you, however, by all means keep the skin on the peaches before adding to the blender, as this will boost the nutritional value of the final dish (many of the nutrients are contained in the skin).
Love and health!
- 2 pounds strawberries, tops removed, chopped small
- 1/2 cup packed mint leaves, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 5 yellow peaches, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- In a medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, chopped mint and orange juice. Set aside.
- Add the peaches, lemon juice and water to a high-speed blender. Process on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour a little coulis onto each plate. Top with a generous serving of the strawberries.
- Serve immediately.