Hello, dear ones.
Yes, I come to you with another salad this week. Bear with me. With the weather warming up, I find that salads make the most welcome evening meals, so I have been serving them, a lot. Their variety is endless, and they leave room for a lot of creative pairings, all without the unwelcome heat of the stove in the warmth of summer. Besides, there is something very soothing about chopping up a lot of fresh produce, feeling their juices run through my fingers, and mixing the different ingredients with my hands. Getting this close to my food centers me and brings me back to what truly matters: love and nourishment. So, whenever I feel a little overwhelmed, I seek relief in my kitchen. The cooking, the cutting, the food, it makes all the stress just melt away, like butter on a hot frying pan (or rather, like lard on a hot frying pan, because butter and excess heat don’t make for a healthy end result, you know). And when all is said and done, I am invariably much calmer… oh, and I have created a meal to share with my family. Now that is what I call a useful form of therapy.
With strawberry season in full bloom, I couldn’t resist adding a generous serving of them to this salad. Their sweetness balances the slight bitterness of the kale and brussels sprouts, and, when paired with a little avocado, as well, the combinations feel natural and satisfying and cheer the senses with an extra pow of color.
For a full meal, top this salad with a little roasted chicken, grilled steak or sautéed tempeh.
Love and health!
- 2 bunches lacinato kale (about 13-15 leaves), de-stemmed, stacked, very thinly sliced
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, ends discarded, very thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (or fleur de sel)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, mix together the kale, brussels sprouts, onions, avocado, radishes, and mint. Gently mix in about 3/4 of the strawberries and pine nuts.
- Drizzle on the dressing and mix well.
- Top with the rest of the strawberries and pine nuts, and serve immediately.